Healthy Coconut Popcorn by The Fit Foodie
Finally I have discovered the VERY BEST snack of all time, COCONUT POPCORN! For anyone who knows me, I'm the popcorn queen. Pretty much every social occasion I attend will be an excuse to bring along popcorn, even when it's not really appropriate. And then I eat all the popcorn myself and if I'm feeling generous will leave a little bit for those around me.
The problem is, my favourite shop bought popcorn is full of sugar and naat so good for my health (or anyone else's that I occasionally feed it to!). Enter my new hero, healthy coconut popcorn made from 4 simple ingredients: corn, coconut oil, maple syrup and salt. Thank you to The Fit Foodie for bringing this into my life, it has quite honestly made my year!
- ½ cup popping corn (organic is best)
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- Sea salt flakes to taste
- Heat the coconut oil on a medium heat.
- Once it has melted, add the maple syrup.
- If you have a popcorn making machine like me, simply throw the kernals into the machine and once the popcorn is ready, pour the coconut and maple mix on top and stir like crazy. Add salt to taste.
- If you don't have a popcorn machine (like most normal people), add some corn kernels into the pan with the coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Wait for them to pop to make sure that the oil is hot enough and then add the rest of the kernals and cover.
- When the kernels start popping, shake the pan every 10-15 seconds until the popping slows.
- Remove from heat and shake continuously for another 10-20 seconds.
- Pour the popcorn into a big bowl, salt to taste and enjoy the taste explosion!!
If you want to try more of The Fit Foodie's recipes, check out Sally's new book Love, Move, Eat. I recently bought it and love everything about it! It provides a guide to living your best life and features over 70 healthy recipes, plus super helpful wellness tips and tricks.
I hope you enjoy the DELICIOUS popcorn and have a wonderful day!
If you enjoyed this article, sign up to our weekly newsletter! It’s full of health and wellness tips, happiness hacks and plenty of inspiration to live the best life possible.